14th March 2023 Content supplied by: Liofilchem s.r.l.
Test Your Water Samples With Liofilchem Water Detect Coliforms
Tryptose provides nitrogen, carbon, vitamins and minerals. Sodium Chloride maintains the osmotic balance of the medium. Sorbitol and IPTG are the fermentable carbohydrates. Tryptophan is added to improve the indole reaction. Potassium phosphates act as a buffer. Sodium lauryl sulfate inhibits organisms other than coliform bacteria. X-GAL is the chromogenic substrate cleaved by coliforms. MUG is the fluorogenic substrate highly specific for E. coli.
- Use the water sample to suspend the powder: 17.1 g of powder in 1 liter of water.
- If tubes or bottles containing pre-weighted powder are used, add 10 ml of water to the tube (ref. 630600) or 100 ml of water to the bottle (ref. 630601).
- Shake the tube/bottle to dissolve the powder completely.
- Incubate at 37°C for 18-24 h or at room temperature (20-25°C) for up to 48 h.
Coliforms: Any color change of the broth to blue-green indicates the presence of coliforms.
Escherichia coli: Check blue-green broth for fluorescence under long wavelength (366 nm) UV light. A blue fluorescence indicates the presence of E. coli. Confirm E.coli by overlaying the broth with KOVAC’s Reagent (ref. 80271). The almost immediate development of a red-purple colouring is considered a positive result (positive indole reaction).
- Ref. 630600 - 20 tubes x 20 mL
- Ref. 630602 - 100 tubes x 20 mL
- Ref. 630601 - 12 bottles x 100 mL
- Ref. 610382 - 500 g
Learn more about our solutions for food & beverage microbiology or use the Request Information button below to email us directly.
Date Published: 14th March 2023
Source article link: View