Latent Tuberculosis: The Hidden Epidemic
Although an estimated 8 million people develop active Tuberculosis (TB) worldwide each year it is difficult to assess the exact number affected by latent tuberculosis (estimated for the US alone are 9 to 14 million). From this hidden reservoir of the disease, new cases of active tuberculosis can emerge at a later date ranging from a few weeks to almost a lifetime.
bioMerieux recently held a Forum on the theme of 'Latent Tuberculosis - Identification of tuberculosis : latent infection and active disease'. The objective of the Forum was to bring together over 70 international specialists to discuss the clinical impact of new diagnostic tests known as IGRAs (Interferon Gamma Release Assays) on the detection of latent tuberculosis.
Key questions addressed during the Forum included:
To read the full Forum report: http://www.biomerieux-diagnostics.com/latent-tb
T-SPOT.TB - Advantages at a Glance:
Find out more about T-SPOT.TB : http://www.biomerieux-diagnostics.com/t-spot-tb
1. Janssens J-P. et al. ERJ 2007 30(4):722-8
2. Kang Y. et al. Chest. 2007 Sep;132(3):959-65
3. Chee C. et al. J. Clin. Microbiol. 2008
4. Meier T. el al. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24: 529-536, 2005
5. Lee JY. et al. Eur Respir J 2006; 28: 24-30
6. Clarke S. et al. Clin Exp Immunol 2007 150(2):238-44
7. Wrighton-Smith P. et al. Eur Respir J 2006; 28: 45-50
8. Diel R. et al. ERJ 2007 30: 321-332
bioMerieux S.A. is an exclusive distributor of Oxford Immunotec in the following countries : Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden
NOTE: This item is from our 'historic' database and may contain information which is not up to date.
Source : bioMerieux (clinical diagnostic applications) View Company Information
Posted on July 31, 2009