Essentials of Disinfectant Efficacy Testing – Ensuring Microbial Control
: 18 Jun 2019 - 18 Jul 2019
Microbial contamination control is essential in ensuring consumer safety – and consumer confidence. However, contaminants are everywhere, and with constantly-mutating strains of bacteria, keeping your research and manufacturing spaces clean is a daunting and ever-evolving task…especially in controlled environments. A common approach is the use of “disinfectants,” usually described as chemical agents used to reduce the microbial load of controlled environments. Disinfectants play an important role in controlling microbial contamination on surfaces, but one cannot rely on a single, specific product for all applications, due to bacterial mutation and the different types of contaminants found.
Disinfectant efficacy testing is utilized to measure the effectiveness of chemicals that are used clean, sanitize, or disinfect surfaces. There are many regulations and guidance documents that discuss disinfectant efficacy testing, and establishing a compliant disinfectant efficacy testing package aids in providing clear documentation that the disinfectants employed in a facility have been analyzed as required by these regulations.
This webinar will review the essentials of disinfectant efficacy testing and the industry current thinking of disinfectant rotation. The session will outline common pitfalls and detail best practices for optimal mitigation of contaminants in your controlled environment.
At the completion of this session, you will…
- Recognize the Essentials of Disinfectant Efficacy Testing
- Identify which test needs to be used in a specific situation
- Identify some of the regulations governing the test
- Avoid common regulatory observations regarding disinfectant efficacy
- Review some of the various testing methods
- Review how a method is developed and performed
- Develop a simple method
- Establish acceptance criteria
- Develop an inspection package