Sangtec Molecular Diagnostics has launched a standardized diagnostic kit for realtime PCR detection of Aspergillus DNA from clinical samples, affigene® Aspergillus tracer.
The affigene® Aspergillus tracer assay is an important addition to the Sangtec's Opportunistic Infections panel of assays targeted towards immunocompromised patients, such as transplant recipients. The assay detects all clinically relevant Aspergillus species, e.g. Aspergillus fumigatus, A. flavus, and A. niger says Therese Sundell, International Product Manager. It has the same PCR profile as all other affigene trender and tracer assays, which enables the laboratory to include any combination of assays in the instrument during one run.
The incidence of invasive fungal infections has increased dramatically in recent years among immunocompromised patients such as transplant recipients and patients receiving intensive chemotherapy. Systemic fungal infection can be life threatening. One of the most frequent fungal pathogens is Aspergillus spp, today the most common mould infection in immunocompromised patients. Early diagnosis and treatment is essential for adequate therapeutic management, explains Ingvarsson.
A reliable test with high sensitivity that provides fast results is highly requested from transplantation centers since this enables the physician to start treatment at a very early stage of the infection which reduces the risk for the patient considerably. Also prophylactic treatment can be avoided, which is very important since available treatments give severe side effects. With a test that identifies an emerging Aspergillus infection at an early stage, treatment can be given at the right timepoint and only to the patients who need it, concludes Ingvarsson.
The affigene trender/tracer panel consists of the following assays:
- affigene® CMV trender for quantitation of CMV DNA in plasma, serum, and whole blood
- affigene® EBV trender for quantitation of EBV DNA in plasma, serum, and whole blood
- affigene® HBV trender for quantitation of HBV DNA in serum and plasma.
- affigene® BKV trender for quantitation of BK virus DNA in serum.
- affigene® HSV 1/2 tracer for separate detection of HSV 1 and 2 DNA in swabs and CSF
- affigene® VZV 1/2 tracer for detection of VZV DNA in swabs and CSF.
- affigene® Aspergillus tracer for detection of Aspergillus DNA in plasma and whole blood.
A separate kit for sample preparation is available:
- affigene® DNA extraction for extraction of DNA from different human sample matrices such as serum, plasma, csf, whole blood and swabs.
Sangtec Molecular Diagnostics is specialized in developing and producing standardized and precise diagnostic tools based on PCR technology. All tests are designed for the routine clinical laboratory. The company, a part of the German Altana Pharma Group, focuses on infectious diseases such as immunocompromised patients. The company has developed assays for molecular diagnostics since 1994 and is one of few companies with a world-wide PCR license for human clinical diagnostics.
affigene products incorporate PCR technology under license from F.Hoffman La Roche and UDG sterilisation from Invitrogen.
affigeneâ is a registered trademark