Bruker Introduces Beta-lactamase Testing Module
MBT STAR-BL software for patented functional beta-lactamase testing is first high-value module in new MBT STAR (Selective Testing of Antibiotic Resistance) family.
At the 24th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), Bruker has introduced new and expanded research-use only (RUO) capabilities for the MALDI Biotyper™ platform.
The MALDI Biotyper is the market-leading system for microbial identification based on MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. It is widely used in industrial microbiology, animal health, food safety and its IVD and FDA-cleared versions are changing the paradigm in clinical microbiology. With nearly 1,200 customer systems, the MBT platform has become an accepted laboratory-standard for next-generation microbial identification and emerging further high-value functional assays. The MALDI Biotyper RUO and IVD-CE versions cover a broad range of about 2,300 species with more than 5,600 well-characterized microbial isolates from gram-negative bacteria, gram-positive bacteria, yeasts, multicellular fungi and mycobacteria. Microbial identification with the MALDI Biotyper is done using proteomic fingerprinting, where unique species-specific patterns are automatically compared with reference spectra in the MALDI Biotyper library.
Due to the modular design of the MALDI Biotyper software, the system can be configured according to the specific needs of each laboratory: the basic microbial identification functionality is now available in versions for clinical routine laboratories (IVD), for industrial applications and for research-use-only (RUO) purposes.
Industrial and research customers can configure their MALDI Biotyper systems with further functionality by adding various new or expanded RUO software modules or hardware accessories:
- The MBT STAR-BL (Beta Lactamase) module is part of the new MBT STAR assay family for Selective Testing of Antibiotic Resistance, and enables patented functional beta-lactamase testing for selected antibiotics. The MBT STAR-BL software monitors the mass shifts introduced by enzymatic degradation of betalactam antibiotics, like some penicillins, 3rd generation cephalosporins and carbapenems. These changes are monitored by direct measurements of molecular weights without the need of any labelling by probes or antibodies. Bruker is currently gathering feedback from infectious disease researchers on its performance. Due to strong demand for this type of resistance information, future IVD versions are planned.
- The MBT Explorer module provides multiple sophisticated bioinformatics approaches for spectra comparison, statistical data interpretation and for the generation of customer-specific reference library entries (main spectra) of strains of special interest. Such sub-libraries can be exported and re-imported in networks of collaborating laboratories.
- The MBT Satellite module allows for an efficient paperless setup. Multiple MBT Satellite modules can be used for laboratories with multiple microbiology work-benches.
- The MBT Sepsityper module supports the analyses of data generated from positive blood culture samples. This software complements the MALDI Sepsityper kit with streamlined data interpretation for this workflow.
- As use of the MALDI Biotyper continues to increase for industrial microbiology in pharma, food or consumer goods industries, data integrity topics like user management, audit trail and data archiving are of special importance. For these customers, Bruker now offers the new MBT Compliance Assistance Module to support 21 CFR Part 11 requirements.
- MBT Translator and MBT Integrator modules provide functionality to connect data generated with the MALDI Biotyper to laboratory information systems (LIS). MALDI Biotyper results are translated into the language of the LIS and are integrated with information available in the LIS.
- The MBT Pilot™ is a hardware accessory to support the light-guided preparation of target plates. In combination with the MBT Satellite software it allows for a paperless and barcode-tracked workflow with full traceability. The ergonomically-shaped MBT Pilot guides users during the preparation of plates, reducing the possibility of specimen transfer errors.
- The MBT Galaxy™ reduces the manual workload during preparation of sample target plates and also introduces significant quality control steps, like controlled reagent droplet size, controlled drying atmosphere and control of quality of the matrix preparation. This bench-top automation device standardizes the preparation of samples with quality controls for reagent additions. The MBT Galaxy eliminates the need for manual reagent pipetting, reducing repetitive motions and labor costs required for target preparation. The MBT Galaxy is equipped with on-board barcode reading to connect directly to the MALDI Biotyper server.
Tags: Identification, Extended-Spectrum Beta-Lactamase ESBL, Antibiotic Resistance, Proteomics
Date Published: May 12, 2014
Source article link: Bruker Daltonics Inc » company contact details
Standardised Workflow Confirms and IDs Food Microbial Isolates
New Software Improves Antibiotic SIR Determination Using Latest EUCAST Rules
FDA-Cleared Liofilchem MTS™ (MIC Test Strip) Ceftazidime-avibactam (CZA)
Clear Labs' Pilot Program Brings Clinical Grade NGS to Food Safety Testing