Infection Control Study Compares Three ATP Testing Systems
A study published in the American Journal of Infection Control established validation criteria for ATP detection systems that monitor hospital surfaces. Hospital surfaces were treated with three representative bacteria and blood as biological sources of ATP. Three different ATP detection systems, Hygiena SystemSURE II with Ultrasnap swab, 3M Clean-Trace NG with UXC swab, and Charm Sciences novaLUM with PocketSwab Plus swab, were evaluated and compared.
Some of the study criteria used were the linearity of ATP detection, limit of detection, lack of interference from other substances, swabbing efficiency, clinical sensitivity, reportable range, measure of cleanliness after cleaning, and test variability. Only the Charm Sciences novaLUM and PocketSwab Plus system met the verification standards.
The study validated that measurement of ATP is applicable for monitoring cleanliness. ATP is sufficiently stable over a ten-day period, unperturbed by sanitizer, and is subsequently removed with effective cleaning (similar to bacterial removal) as measured using ATP testing. The study serves as a model for cleaning validation and verification and for the evaluation of ATP testing systems.
Charm novaLUM and PocketSwab Plus:
- Had a significant advantage in the detection range and linearity of detection for the three bacteria tested in the study: S. aureus , A. baumannii, and C. albicans
- Showed the lowest limit of detection.
- Showed the least variability.
- Showed a lack of interference from disinfectants/detergents.
- Only system verified to have met manufacturer product claims in the study.
- Only ATP system recommended for use in hospitals without protocol modifications.
Tags: Swabs, Staphylococcus aureus
Date Published: December 3, 2012
Source article link: Charm Sciences » company contact details
LiDia® BSI Test: Detection of Pathogens in Clinical Whole Blood Samples
MWE Sigma Transwabs® and Fecal Transwabs® Compatible with Copan WASP®
[VIDEO] Is Your Production Environment Contaminating Your Finished Product?
FDA-Cleared Liofilchem MIC Test Strip (MTS™) Clindamycin (CD)