Thermo Scientific Extends Range of ISO Compliant Culture Media for Food and Environmental Testing
Thermo Scientific has added four important culture media to the growing Thermo Scientific range of ISO compliant products for the microbiological examination of food and environmental samples, allowing food microbiologists to be confident that the formulations meet the required ISO specifications.
Thermo Scientific Modified Semi-solid Rappaport Vassiliadis (MSRV) Agar (ISO) is used for the selective enrichment of Salmonella species from food, environmental and animal faecal samples and conforms to ISO 6579:2002 Annex D. This medium has been shown to detect more Salmonella positive samples than traditional enrichment procedures for animal faeces and environmental samples 1-4.
Thermo Scientific Baird-Parker Agar (ISO) is a selective diagnostic medium for the isolation and enumeration of coagulase-positive staphylococci in foods. Conforming to ISO 6888-1:1999, it is widely recommended by national and international bodies5.
The range also now includes Thermo Scientific Violet Red Bile Lactose (VRBL) Agar (ISO), for the detection and enumeration of coliforms in food, animal feed and environmental samples, and Thermo Scientific Violet Red Bile Glucose (VRBG) Agar (ISO), for the detection and enumeration of Enterobacteriaceae in food, animal feed and environmental samples. These media conform to ISO 4823:2006 and ISO 21528-2:2004 respectively.
For further information about the extensive range of ISO complaint media available from Thermo Scientific, contact Carlene Simmons using the contact details at the top of this page or the 'More Information' button below.
1. De Smedt J. M., Bolderdijk R., Rappold H. and Lautenschlaeger D. (1986) J. Food. Prot. 49. 510-514.
2. De Smedt J. M., Bolderdijk R. (1987) J. Food. Prot. 50. 658-661.
3. De Zutter L. et al. (1991) Int. J. Food Micro. 13. 11-20.
4. De Smedt J. M. et al. (1991) Int. J. Food Micro. 13. 301-308.
5. Chopin A., Malcolm S., Jarvis G., Asperger H., Beckers H. J., Bertona A. M., Cominazzini C., Carini S., Lodi R., Hahn G., Heeschen W., Jans J. A., Jervis D., I., Lanier J. M., O'Connor F., Rea M., Rossi J., Seligmann R., Tesone S., Waes G., Mocquot G. and Pivnick H. (1985) ICMSF Methods studies XV. J. Food Protect. 48. 21-27.
Source: Thermo Scientific. View latest company information
Posted: February 20, 2009
[will open your email client]